In a previous article, [log in to unmask] ("Arthur R. McGee") says:

>> Can anyone tell where I mind find a list of mailing lists that would be of
>> specific interest to people working in a local community.  I'm interested in
>> providing such a list to members of our community to show them how they can
>> hook up with their counterparts elsewhere. For example:
>
>Try sending email to [log in to unmask] You'll get back an
>automatic reply. It's not specifically what you are looking for, but it's
>as close as there is right now.
>
>-----------------------------
>Art McGee [[log in to unmask]]
>-----------------------------

Your question is a little vague.  I publish a list of almost 900 community
groups here in Ottawa-Carleton Canada.  The Ottawa Public Library and the
City of Ottawa also have lists, with some overlap.  We have provided ASCII
versions to be posted on the National Capital Freenet.  They will be put
in a test area and coupled with a fuzzy logic search engine to allow
members search by any word in the listing.  They should be moved into the
public area by the mid-fall.

The groups are from many categories and are, of course, not complete by
the standards of anyone outside the listing organization: neighbourhood
associations, merchant and business-sector associations, coops,
condominiums, school councils, tenants associations, environmental groups,
law, finance, & process groups, women's, seniors, students groups,
ethnic societies, etc.  Get the idea?

It is also available in hard copy -- with two indexes (type/interest &
geographical sub-area) for $3.50 (taxes incl.) CAN by sending cheque to:
Master Contact List, Planning and Property Dept., Regional Municipality of
Ottawa-Carleton, 111 Lisgar Street, Ottawa, K2P 2L7, Canada; phone
(613) 560-1229, fax 560-6006.

--
                       Chris Bradshaw, [log in to unmask] Ottawa
                       Talk Globally; Walk Locally (& flock regionally)