Rob Lake replied-
> IF the cable TV provider is going to a full optical fiber system, then
> FreeNet/Internet access will require:
>
>         -  The fiber system be two-way.  I.e., the subscriber must be
>         able to "route" into the FreeNet/Internet server.
>         -  The service should, but not must, support IP packets.  This
>         will allow eventual connection "beyond" the Freenet fun and games
>         into the full Internet, with use of Mosaic and other IP-based
>         aids.
>         -  The connection of a PC/Mac to the fiber should provide:
>                 Some physical security so that the cable isn't damaged.
>                 A nominal usage fee, if not free
>                 An interface, probably Ethernet, on the PC/Mac that is
>                         supported and supportable and reasonable

Do you have any idea of who sells (and cost) of a device to make use of
this fiber connection to a IP ethernet network and/or to an individual
PC/Mac.?

>                 Some method to assign and register unique IP addresses
>                         for each PC/Mac to be connected.

I'm sure that a bootp server would be fairly easy to create or acquire to
assign IP addresses.

>         -  The TV provider will have to, in most cases, provide additional
>         hardware to handle the routing.  Unlike the present line amplification
>         equipment, this can't yet "hang on the line", but requires a protected
>         operating environment.  The bottom line may be that 2-way amplifiers
>         are required at each amplification node on the fiber.
>         -  A relatively high-speed service at the Freenet/Internet end.
>         A hundred new users, not familiar with the technology, can bring
>         even a potent Freenet system to its knees rapidly.  The rule-of-
>         thumb is that you'll need to plan for peak loads of 10% of your
>         connected base.
>
> I know I haven't thought of everything, like how an Internet connection might
> be handled, but I'd be glad to open a discussion.  We've not heard "boo"
> from Our Fair City since the topic was first broached with Ken.

If/when I learn more I will be more than happy to send information to you
directly or to this list.

Thanks again,
Larry Loos
1417 N Henderson                   Work e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Cape Girardeau, MO  63701          Home e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  314/334-9322