Anne -

IF the cable TV provider is going to a full optical fiber system, then
FreeNet/Internet access will require:

        -  The fiber system be two-way.  I.e., the subscriber must be
        able to "route" into the FreeNet/Internet server.
        -  The service should, but not must, support IP packets.  This
        will allow eventual connection "beyond" the Freenet fun and games
        into the full Internet, with use of Mosaic and other IP-based
        aids.
        -  The connection of a PC/Mac to the fiber should provide:
                Some physical security so that the cable isn't damaged.
                A nominal usage fee, if not free
                An interface, probably Ethernet, on the PC/Mac that is
                        supported and supportable and reasonable
                Some method to assign and register unique IP addresses
                        for each PC/Mac to be connected.
        -  The TV provider will have to, in most cases, provide additional
        hardware to handle the routing.  Unlike the present line amplification
        equipment, this can't yet "hang on the line", but requires a protected
        operating environment.  The bottom line may be that 2-way amplifiers
        are required at each amplification node on the fiber.
        -  A relatively high-speed service at the Freenet/Internet end.
        A hundred new users, not familiar with the technology, can bring
        even a potent Freenet system to its knees rapidly.  The rule-of-
        thumb is that you'll need to plan for peak loads of 10% of your
        connected base.

I know I haven't thought of everything, like how an Internet connection might
be handled, but I'd be glad to open a discussion.  We've not heard "boo"
from Our Fair City since the topic was first broached with Ken.

Cheers,
Rob Lake
Environmental Modeling Inc.