On Wed, 29 Jun 1994, Stephen J. Cavrak, Jr. wrote:

> One of the hard things to design in is "Serendipity" -- you can't
> always find what you want -- but you can find something almost as
> good near by.  If you get to the right neighborhood, you can roam
> around a bit.

FYI: one of the library lists recently had a discussion on serendipity
regarding online library catalogs vs. browsing shelves -- for example,
people liked the systems that would show not only books that matched a
search, but also the books that were on either side of the found items on
the shelves

Miles

Miles R. Fidelman                   [log in to unmask]
Executive Director                  91 Baldwin St. Charlestown MA 02129
The Center for Civic Networking     617-241-9205 fax: 617-241-5064

Check out our gopher server:
at a unix prompt: gopher -p 1/associations/civicnet ftp.std.com

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Now, Say It Often: "I Want My Internet!"