Terry Wiggins <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>To those of you who have moved from a DOS to a Windows end-user
>search system - especially if your campus is predominantly PC/DOS:

>How did you manage the transition?

We introduced the Windows version of CD-PLUS in addition to the DOS
version Silver Platter. Silver Platter remains - for the moment -
available for students. CD-Plus is restricted to use by staff - library,
hospital & academic. Teaching was easy. Few would wish to go back.

>Did you find you now had to teach Windows and using a mouse in
>addition to the search system, database structure, keyboard usage,
>etc.?

Some were uncomfortable with the mouse at first.

>Did you have to re-teach users previously trained on DOS searching?

Mimimally.

>Were users more or less likely to want to learn a Windows system?

CD-Plus is so superior on nearly all grounds that it is difficult to
answer the question in Windows vs DOS terms.

>Were they any more likely to be
able to teach themselves?

Yes.

>Were users any more likely to attend classes?

Not really necessary for most.

>Was the transition "cold turkey", or were you able to introduce the
>Windows databases gradually, giving users a choice of which to use /
>when to make the switch?

vide supra.

>Given a choice, would you change to a Windows system if you had it to
>do over again?

Yes, given a choice I would throw away all DOS CD apps. Hardware is the
only constraint.

>If someone will please send me the address for the CD-PLUS list, I'll
>send this message there (so it doesn't get sent there multiple
>times).

If you still need this - email me.

>I'll appreciate your input.
Robert Boot                                       [log in to unmask]
Herston Medical Library                                 Ph: +61 7 365 5354
University of Queensland 4072  AUSTRALIA               Fax: +61 7 365 5243