> Do any of you know of a "library" supplier like Gaylord, Highsmith, etc.
> that will come into your facility and do a quote for shelving. This will
> be a small order $5,000 or $6,000. Also, what is the standard weight load
> on a library shelf?
> thanks, Jodi Upton
> reply to: [log in to unmask]

Jodi,
I recently ordered some shelving for around $4000. I asked for several
rfp's or quotes from local distributors who were willing to come out or
quote over the phone in a speedy manner as funding timeline was short
(I had to purchase with special allocation withing fiscal year).

You can get answers to question from local dealers of following library
shelving companies (as well as Gaylord,Demco, Highsmith, et al):
        White Office systems
        50 Boright Ave, Kenilworth, NJ 07033
        201 272 8888
        (specializes in high density mobile library shelving)

        Estey
        201 Tennsco Drive
        Dickson, TN
        615 446-8000
        (standard cantilever library shelving)

        MJ Industries
        P.O. Box 259
        Georgetown, MA 01833
        508 352-6190
        Standard Library shelving

I chose MJ Industries and used Ross-McDonald as local dealer. Main reason,
lowest bid, proximity of dealer, and MJ shelving most closely matched my
current shelving.  You'll find local dealers have will quote more than one
shelving company's products.  I got my information from ALA convention in
Los Angeles. Of course, we Californians have special requirements such as
getting shelves that are reinforced for codes related to earthquakes.

This is not a comprehensive list. The Librarian's Yellow Pages has a lot
more companies. I'll send you a copy as they were distributed free at ALA
convention back in Feb 94.
Other med-libbers call 800 235-9723 about Librarian Yellow Pages.
I am not their distributor.
Shirley Kinoshita
Milton J. Chatton Medical Library
Santa Clara Valley Medical Ctr