>I am sorry to do this to you but could I prevail upon you all one more time?
>The physician heading our Medical Staff has been very concerned about the
>lack of control over our meeting minutes in that they are not readily
>accessible. Our hospital has been preparing meeting minutes then
>microfiching them. Access to these minutes is dependent on the memory of
>the secretary who typed these minutes - the physician is very concerned
>about having some control over the 'collective memory' of our
>institution. I have been asked to investigate whether there is a system
>of somehow indexing these minutes in some way - maybe even using the NLM
>Annotated Alpabetic Listing. This would entail someone going over these
>minutes and assigning the keywords/controlled vocabulary. To me it sounds
>like a daunting task almost requiring a part time person to do it.
>I was hoping that someone out there may have had a similar experience or
>have some good ideas as to how to go about it. This is all being
>integrated into our information management plan/system. Ofcourse I dont
>think they are planning to continue microfiching the minutes making them
>very inaccessible to keywords.
>Thanks for your attention (again)
>Janice Lester
>Shady Grove Adventist Hospital
>Rockville MD
>[log in to unmask] (not David)
>PS if anyone may know of any literature that addresses this question that
>would wonderful

I think if you try using pagemaker a desktop publishing program, you would
find that this is a very easy project.

1st you word process you document.  (It takes a large number of various
programs)  Import your document into pagemaker.

Then reading the index you highlight the items that you want included in
the index.

Let it create the index for you.

P.S. It will also create a table of contents for you.

I've only been learning how to create index but it should work quite well.

Margaret Vugrin
Ref. Librarian
TTUHSC Library

Margaret Vugrin
Reference Librarian
Texas Tech Health Sciences Center Library