I too am a public librarian, my specialty is medicine.  I am pursuing AHIP
even as we "speak".  I'm not sure I will get it, but that's besides the
point.  Our institution has a program in place called a professional
development program and I chose to pursue AHIP as my plan.  I personally
feel it will help me in my career because the medical section is the most
popular section in the library.  I circualate 2,000 to 3,000 books per
month from my building alone.  I feel it is imparative that I am as active
with Medical Librarianship as is possible because I am somewhat secluded
from the actual health care loop.  So I am working on AHIP and active in
my local group.  I regard many of the requirements as something that I may
never be able to do but goals are to reach for.  That's enough

LaNae Kristy
Phoenix Public Library

P.S. The collection is so imporant to our public that they regularly steal
everything they can get their hands on including two Health Reference
Disks! GRR