On Wed, 2 Nov 1994 16:58:06 CST,
Karen Andrews  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Can any one suggest an alternative Dewey call number for "patient
>Information" type publications. i.e. books that health professionals would
>use to show, or copy, to give to their clients, which explains medical
>syndromes.

I use 610 medical encyclopedias or 616 depending on the text. Like the
public library I use Dewey, but I choose to ignore 618.92 except for
general pediatric textbooks, and place everything else from 011-796 so that
I "spread out" the collection.

Why do we distinguish between those written for the general public,
nurses (610.7362), or physicians (618.92)?

The same is true with the NLM classification. From the pov
of the library user, it would be a lot easier to go to
one spot on cardiology, etc. rather than two - one for physicians and one
for nurses.

Why not just use one subject matter and treat it as a difference in format?
I know of several nurses that agree with me, but have not heard any
comments from physicians. What do other librarians do?
cheers!
         C. Mofford                       | "Life is not a matter of     |
         Family Resource Library          |  holding a good hand,        |
         IWK Children's Hospital          |  but playing a poor hand     |
         PO Box 3070                      |  well."                      |
         Halifax, NS, B3J 3G9, Canada     |                              |
         [log in to unmask]           |  Robert Louis Stevenson      |
         902-428-8982  fax: 428-8826      ********************************