     The Star Trek shows have always been famous for their literary and
historical allusions.  The Cigar comment was around long before the Star
Trek shows.  It would be wrong to credit the Star Trek episode with
this remark by Freud, and would only betray your own failure to recognize
the allusion.  I don'
t (excuse me, I hit the return key by accident) I don't know where the
quotation got its start either, I only know it didn't start with Counselor
Troi.  Allusions can be tricky; does anyone else remember those very old
cartoons in which (I believe) two bears appeared?  One bear was big and
dumb and the other (George) was small and much smarter.  The big bear
would say, "I did a baaaaad thing, huh, George?"  The premise seemed an
admirable match to Of Mice and Men, by Steinbeck.
Signed,
Raised on Rocky and Bullwinkle's Poetry Corner and Fractured Fairytales, etc.
and longtime Star Trek fan.  [log in to unmask]