Dear Fellow Medlibbers,

F.Y.I. . . . the Monday, October 31, 1994 Wall Street Journal has a short
article on the Texaco copyright case appeal.  In a 2-1 decision, a New
York federal appeals court found in favor of the six publishers.  The
dissenting judge apparently stated that the appeals court "has ended
fair-use photocopying with respect to a large population of journals."
The article appeared on page B8.

It makes me wonder if state-supported or not-for-profit status would have
influenced the court differently.  I guess we will find out someday.

The case citation is: American Geophysical Union vs. Texaco, Inc., Second
U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, 92-CV-9341.

Teresa L. Knott, M.L.S., M.P.A.
Associate Director
Library of the Health Sciences
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
4800 Alberta Avenue
El Paso, TX  79905

(915) 545-6650  voice    (915) 545-6656  fax   [log in to unmask]  e-mail