On Thu, 10 Nov 1994, Ron Malpeli wrote:

> I believe the usage tax on the Net will be similar to the road usage tax
paid by large trucking firms who use the national highway system.

The trucking firms do NOT pay their proportionate share of the cost of
building and maintaining the national highway system. This is not even
controversial fact. Books on highway engineering tell the engineer to
virtually completely disregard auto traffic in calculating road life.

Likewise, I suspect that the major league players will benefit
disproportionally from such information tolls.

> It will probably evolve around the number of bits a user moves from
point A to point Z, and any intermeadiate stops.

The monitoring and billing overhead are likely to be very high under such
a scheme.

>As bandwidth increases, I think the marginal cost (to the user) of moving
a bit across the Net will inversely decrease.>

You are probably right on this. I hope so.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Lowe, Box 2050, Jackson, MS 39225-2050      The cistern contains,
[log in to unmask]                               the fountain overflows.
                                                             ---Blake