>Another source of revenue would be to tax any commerce that happens
>on the net.  If I email-order some earrings and charge it, there
>could be a tax collected to support the net.

This discussion perpetuates the notion that the net is 'free'.  Virtually
all of the companies doing business on the net are *paying* real dollars
for their Internet connection, and so they are supporting the net already.
Taxing transactions will have the same effect on the net that taxes have
the real world: they discourage investment.

In Blacksburg, where we have many businesses on the net, every one of them
is paying directly (they have their own connection), or indirectly (they
are paying a service provider that has a connection).

Andrew

Andrew Michael Cohill, Ph.D.         Director, Blacksburg Electronic Village
[log in to unmask]                Professor, Dept. of Architecture, VPI&SU
703-231-7855                         WWW:  http://crusher.bev.net/

Blacksburg is the most connected town in the world, with more than 25% of
the population directly on the Internet at home or at work.