On Sun, 13 Nov 1994, Karen Michaelson wrote:

> On November 12, 1994, Brent Wall wrote:
> True, businesses are paying for their connections.  But, my view is that
> if they are putting their ads on a Free-Net menu then why can't they pay
> for same just as they would if they were to place an ad in a newspaper.
> That is, in the printed world, businesses have ad preparation costs that
> are not unconsequential.  Then, after these costs, they also pay for the
> advertising space.  Analogously, a company, like my wife's here in
> Tallahassee, will pay for the ad copy, and a charge for its placement on
> the net in addition to her Free-Net hook-up fees.  This is the point, with
> a freenet, there is no subscription charge.  So, we thinks, why should
> not a business pay for menu space. These charges then could be used to
> undrwright the PEG services of the net.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> I like this idea.  It puts the Free-Net in the same arena as an
> alternative newspaper (anotn alternative information source).  Our local
> alternative newspapers do not charge readers, and they are available
> freely to the public in a variety of accessible places.  But they charge
> advertisers to cover the costs of publication.  It is a win-win situation--
> the publication has revenue to make a go of it....the advertiser gets broad
> coverage because of the wide distribution of the alternative newspaper.
>
> TINCAN is considering some form of advertising, but kept in a specific
> location, such as an "electronic mall" area.  That way users can either
> access the area or not.
>
> Karen Michaelson
> TINCAN organizer and dreamer
> TINCAN: The Inland Northwest Community Access Network
> serving Spokane, Stevens, Ferry, Pend Oreille, Lincoln and
> Whitman counties in Washington state, and Kootenai county, Idaho

Karen,

Thanks for your comments.  I neglected to mention that the last thing, at
least in my view, we want is a Prodigy front-end to a Free-Net.  Many, and
I guess I am included in this group, feel that a Free-Net's primary
purpose is educational and governmental.  Advertising, hawking on every
page wares and services of one kind or another, appears to be
inconsistent with the PEG purposes of a community net.  Our proposal to
the Board of County Commissioners proposes the establishment of a virtual
local mall in which all advertising would be located.  A topic on the
main menu, all a user would have to do is select it and go to a menu
organized by goods and services.

Regards,

Brent Wall
Leon County Free-Net Project