On Tue, 8 Nov 1994, Richard Tilmann wrote:

> There are an increasing number of MUD/MOO sites that are education
> programs developing a new form of DIstance Education.
>
> One of the best examples is Diversity University located at:
>
>       erau.db.erau.edu, port=8888
>
> Perhaps these folks need to be updated on the current state of the Net

   I agree. The Academic Computing folks at my place were very receptive
to the notion that MOOs can and do have educational uses. BayMOO, on
which I am a janitor (the self-effacing but accurate term for the
administrators of that place), has the full support of our university. In
fact, we will be moving it, and our new, NIST-funded FactoryNET MOO, to
SFSU this month.
   Diversity is another splendid place. I have had students visit there
and come back with glowing reports about the learning that goes on there.
   But the issue still remains:
   Jane or John Student come to me and say, "I want to be able to access
IRC because I want to ________ ." I tell them, "Try MediaMOO instead!" --
but they are adamant. They want to find out about the rave scene... UNIX
hacks....the Orb.... And I have to tell them that IRC is not allowed by
anyone, for any reason. The situation appears to them to be what, back in
the 60s, was called a "non-negotiable": let's not talk about ways we
might be able to work out something on IRC. IRC is out -- period.
   Remember the Free Speech Movement?

   "History may not repeat istelf -- but it rhymes." -- Mark Twain