On Tue, 8 Nov 1994, Arthur Chandler wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 1994, Richard Tilmann wrote:
>
> > There are an increasing number of MUD/MOO sites that are education
> > programs developing a new form of DIstance Education.
> >
> > One of the best examples is Diversity University located at:
> >
> >       erau.db.erau.edu, port=8888
> >
> > Perhaps these folks need to be updated on the current state of the Net
>

>    I agree. The Academic Computing folks at my place were very receptive
> to the notion that MOOs can and do have educational uses. BayMOO, on
> which I am a janitor (the self-effacing but accurate term for the
> administrators of that place), has the full support of our university. In
> fact, we will be moving it, and our new, NIST-funded FactoryNET MOO, to
> SFSU this month.
>    Diversity is another splendid place. I have had students visit there
> and come back with glowing reports about the learning that goes on there.
>    But the issue still remains:
>    Jane or John Student come to me and say, "I want to be able to access
> IRC because I want to ________ ." I tell them, "Try MediaMOO instead!" --
> but they are adamant. They want to find out about the rave scene... UNIX
> hacks....the Orb.... And I have to tell them that IRC is not allowed by
> anyone, for any reason. The situation appears to them to be what, back in
> the 60s, was called a "non-negotiable": let's not talk about ways we
> might be able to work out something on IRC. IRC is out -- period.
>    Remember the Free Speech Movement?
>
>    "History may not repeat istelf -- but it rhymes." -- Mark Twain

Hello.

Why not let them moo-off?  That is, who is to say that Anglo culture has a
corner on these things?  It is a difficult fight, I know, but there is the
first amendment and hormones, and the "right" of kids to discover
themselves.

Political correctness will be the end of us all.

Brent Wall,

Leon County FL