 ----------
From: Leisner, Edward
To: CD-PLUS  Listserv U of Toronto
Cc: Medical Libraries Discussion
Subject: MEDLINE and CINAHL Time Frames
Date: Friday, January 27, 1995 11:20AM

     Good morning!!

     Like most other Health-Sciences Librarians, I am stuck in the
transition period between having to still maintain a print collection while
moving into the electronic format stage.  It is time again to weed the
collection!  Currently, I have the individual journal title holdings going
back to 1965 or 1975.  I would like the Library's journal holdings to
continue to correlate with MEDLINE file time frames for the convenience of
the Library's patrons.

     My Library accesses its CD-PLUS subscriptions on a WAN.  Is anyone (I'm
really hoping that CD-PLUS will see this request) aware of any plans by
CD-PLUS to change (I assume it's their decision) the four current  MEDLINE
time frames (1966 to mid-l976;  mid-1976 to 1984;  1985 to 1989;  1990 to
present).  What brings this to mind is that I have heard that CD-ROM
subscribers will be receiving a "ninth" disc this year that will have only
the 1966 material, in order to make room on the "first" disc for 1995
citations.

     I also remember  reading that CINAHL is planning to go retrospective,
prior to 1982, with its files.  I would be interested in knowing when, how
far back, whether it will be ongoing, whatever!!

     Thank you for your consideration !!