In my last Library, a large teaching medical center, we also
experienced a steady increase (about 30% a year) in
the number of mediated searches we were doing for our patrons
over the past 2 years.
This was during the same time that we added 6 end-user
search stations and remote access.  These services were also
being heavily used.  We found that it was primarily the
office-based physicians who wanted us to run their literature searches.
We offered low prices and rapid turn around time.  This group
doesn't search enough to feel proficient and their time
represents patient-generated income. They were very
appreciative of not having to do their own searches.