Colleagues and Jennifer:

I'm backed up on my email reading but I hope no one has answered this
question.  The answer can be found on p.14 of Healthy People: The Surgeon
General's Report on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. 1979.

I quote:  In fact, of the 10 leading causes of death in the United States
(Figure 2-A), at least seven could be substantially reduced if persons at
risk improved just five habits: diet, smoking, lack of exercise, alcohol
abuse, and use of antihypertensive medication.

Since most people die in hospitals, perhaps this is the answer your
client wants.

Regards,

Laura C. Larsson
Research Librarian