Dear Marga (and other MEDLIBBERS):
Regarding your observation on the difference is response to the two queries,
one from sixth graders and the other from the gentleman about his wife's
gestational diabetes:

Part of the difference may be in that the kids asked for a whole slew of
things and the other question was limited to one topic.

As to "no one has yet suggested" a,b,c,d, speaking only for myself, I did.
Correcting spelling is second nature to me (English major and sometime
author).  I DID suggest he ask the MD for more info, as well as contact
the local chapter of the ADA, AND provided him with the title and other
bibliographic information of a recent textbook from which most of my
points were drawn.  Again, speaking only for myself, my persoanl reason for
answering this particular query is that I had experience with this condition
myself some six years ago.

It's not like this comes up all the time, and if it's no stretch to hit the
reply button and give somebody basic info you already know, why not?  There's no law saying you have to reply.  Just pass it by (like I do on three-quarters
of my e-mail :) ) if you want to.  *P.S. It's "personal" not "persoanl", I know.  I can spell but if I had to type for a living I'd starve.

Anne C. Tomlin