We do not charge.

Most of our ILL's come from libraries that do not charge because our
DOCLINE routing chart sends requests to them first. We figure that the
cost of ILL's from  libraries that do charge is simple part of the cost
of offering information services.  When we give a patron a search, we
say "We can get you anything on this list." and we mean it.

Same for rush service. We don't question our clients needs. If we have
to do triage between an immediate patient care info need and an
"administrative emergency", the patient care one comes first.

We are not our clients' Time Management Police. If they ask for
something at the last minute, we try to get it for them. If we
can, fine. If not, they know we tried.

We're offering a service here ... not running a Reform School. I believe
we get more enthusiastic support from our clients because of this attitude
than do institutions that see their clients as lions to be approached with
a whip and a chair!

Some will want to "flame" me with "But we can't get the budget to do that..."
Fine. If you can't, then honestly tell your patrons you don't offer rush
service at all. Tell them you don't have the budget for extra fees. Have
a clear, fair policy and stick to it. Don't get caught giving arbitrary
service based on reading clients minds and guessing at their motives or
work habits.

        OKLAHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLA
        K     [log in to unmask]    H
        L                                          O
        AHOMAOKLAHOMAOKLA    Michelynn McKnight    M
                       O    Phone: 405/360-8385    A
                        K   FAX: 405/321-6576      O
                          A                        L
                           O                       A
                            K                      H
                             OKLAHOMAKLAHOMAOKLAHOMA

Director, Health Sciences Library, Norman Regional Hospital,
PO Box 1308, Norman, Oklahoma, 73070, USA