Information about Rep. Walker was incorrect, the fax number was
recently changed --

The Office of Technology Assessment is critical to the future of
information networks, education and communities.  An important
study on Teachers and Technology will be published in the next
month by the OTA Division on Human Resources.

Write letters of support to preserve the Congress' access to
high quality reports on technology and society.

Representative Robert S. Walker
Science Committee
2369 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  201515-3816
Fax: 202-225-1116

Rep. Ron Packard
Chair, Subcommittee on Appropriations for the Legislative Branch
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515
Fax: 202-225-0134

Sen. Connie Mack
Chair, Subcommittee on Appropriations for the Legislative Branch
U.S. Senate
Washington, DC 20510
Fax: 202-224-8022

Senator Patty Murray
Senate Appropriations Committee
U.S. Senate
Washington, DC 20510
Fax: 202-224-0238

Senator Jim Jeffords
Senate Appropriations Committee, Washington DC Subcommittee
513 Hart Senate Bldg
U.S. Senate
Washington, DC 20510
email: [log in to unmask]

Senator Robert Bennett
Senate Appropriations Committee, Washington DC subcommittee
U.S. Senate
Washington, DC 20510
Fax: 202-224-6717

Senator Barbara Mikulski
Senate Appropriations Committee
U.S. Senate
Washington, DC 20510
Fax: 202-224-8858

March 18, 1995

Representative Robert S. Walker
Science Committee
2369 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC  201515-3816

Dear Representative Walker,

    As a citizen of a middle class town, and as a supporter of
good education and the success of our country I strongly urge
you to retain the Office of Technology Assessment.

    For example, the POWER ON study on educational software has
been the bible for many schools and teachers about learning
to use software in the classroom.

    You recently expressed concern about the ability of the OTA
to respond quickly to legislative needs.  This is a perceptive
concern and one that needs to be addressed.

    As you know, the Office of Technology Assessment provides
a caliber of review and research that far exceeds the
Congressional Research Service.  It is that quality of information
that has required additional time.

    I suggest that you consider restructuring the OTA to better
meet the needs of Congress.  When members of Congress request
a study from OTA, have those members instruct OTA about the
required time frame.  I suggest that the OTA can still do
excellent work if time frames of 3-4 months were required for
some issues.  Using some of the new information technologies
will help achieve this goal.  The OTA can establish Internet
listserves for each advisory panel and speed the process, while
reducing costs associated with such panels.  Sub-contractors
can be required to provide their findings in electronic formats
under Thomas, and thus provide advanced information, prior to the
final OTA report.

    The OTA is an excellent example of a national resource that
should be retained.  We hope you will give strong consideration
to these suggestions.

Very truly yours,

      Curtiss Priest
      466 Pleasant Street