I think Kevin Nelson's idea about marking "sensitive" or questionable
newsgroups and web pages with an "x" for pre-screening purposes is an
interesting idea.  I have a few questions about such a self-imposed
rating-type system.

First, in making such a system "normative," could systems administrators
or server owners, if they enter into the process, still somehow be held
legally liable for information not "properly" named?

Second, if there is no top down mechanism for flagging questionable
information and informing page/group owners of the "x standard," what
other means of self-monitoring might make sense?

Third, no doubt with every action for intended purposes, there are of
number of "unintended consequences."  For example, the same "x mark" to
allow for screening out of questionable information, could also provide
a quick and easy search tool allowing for a ready-made pornographic
library.  Much easier than having to find all those sites on ones own.

Mary
Mary E. Virnoche
Research Assistant

Department of Sociology           Phone: 303-492-6269
Campus Box 327                      FAX: 303-492-8878
University of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309

Check out the Boulder Community Network:
HTTP://bcn.boulder.co.us