Date:         Tue, 21 Mar 95 05:23:46 EST
From:         "W. Curtiss Priest" <BMSLIB@MITVMA>
Subject:      Re: Censorship and pornography
To:           Telecomm Policy Roundtable - Northeast <TPR-NE@MITVMA>

>way the directories of sensitive material arenamed. Any newsgroup with often
>quetionable material should have in itsname ".X.". So, ALT.SEX.BANANAS would b
e renamed ...
I laud this suggestion.  If we look at the story of X rated films and the
legacy of the Surgeon General's warnings on cigaretts, this would fit
well with our liberty of free speech and our concern for informing
users.

The music industry has been an interesting case.  Tipper Gore suggested
some form of censorship in the 1980's.  In particular, some rap music
had become very explicit.  I haven't seen, however, that the musicc
industry went to any rating system (have they?)

Certainly one of the first questions when we talk about community access
to the Internet is, "will my kid be able to download pornography?"

A "very reliable" solution is necessary and, as Nelson suggests, this
should be done in advance of government censorship which is likely to
be more onerous.

|           W. Curtiss Priest, Ph.D., Director       *********************** |
|      Center for Information, Technology, & Society *  Improving humanity * |
|                                                    *  through technology * |
|                  466 Pleasant Street               *********************** |
|                Melrose, MA  02176-4522         [log in to unmask]       |
|                  Voice: 617-662-4044  Gopher or WWW to our publications:   |
|   Fax: 617-662-6882      gopher.eff.org (under similar organizations, CITS |
| WWW: http://www.eff.org, under Documents & File Archives, under Gopher     |