P.R. Teachout wrote:
>With all due respect, I think this discussion is patently ridiculous.
>The answer to the above quoted statement is:  Absolutely!  The child will
>also be able to download communist doctrine, catholic dogma, instructions
> for building bombs, senate bills, and a lot of other 'objectionable'
>material.
>The solution?  Teach your child some morals and common sense.

I believe that this is what it will always come down to. I, as an adult, am
tired of people trying to make me live in a world that is safe in all ways for
3 year olds and presents no opportunity to for contention. That is not the
world I wish to live in. It is also not the world I want my 9 year old to
learn from. I WANT him to meet temptation and be righteous enough to select
the proper path -I do not want him to "behave" because he has no other options.
I allow him to surf the net. And while no child will always make the proper
choices - (after all, he is still a child) - he does (on his own) avoid most
of that which contradict his moral position (or what he precieves to be mine.)
And no, I don't sit behind him telling him what buttons to press.

Occasionally, he will make (what I consider to be) a mistake. He downloaded
Doom a while ago - I don't approve. But it is my job as a parent to deal with
his action - it is not the responsibility of the Internet community to make
sure that my son can only see what I believe is moral. -

BTW - my approach to the Doom game was to have a long talk about reality and
fantasy - my feelings about violence - and to go out and get all the cheats
for the game. I knew he would use the cheats and and as a result the game
would be boring and not engaging -It worked and with a very few hours he was
bored with it and not inclined to play it anymore. - as a parent one can
expect to win a few and loose a few.  But,thank you,raising my son is my
responsibility - not yours. (Although some better childcare facilities would
not hurt.)

regards
-kurt-

Kurt Hanselmann, Data Processing Division     ¸NOT NECESSARILY¸
Ca Employment Development Dept., MIC 58-1E    ¸*MY EMPLOYER'S*¸
Telephone:(916)654-7812                       ¸***OPINIONS****¸
Profs Id: khanselm  INTERNET:[log in to unmask]