>   [log in to unmask] (Frank J. Schmuck) writes:
>  One of the cardiology groups with whom I am associated has been presented
with
>  a proposed change in payer contract which proposes to change the term
>  "fee schedule" with the lower of three options: 1) the accustomed charge
>  2) the negotiated fee schedule or 3) the lowest fee negotiated with ANY
>  payer with whom the physician has contracted.
>
>  Is anyone else receiving this kind of request?
>
>  Frank Schmuck

Yes I have seen this type of contract on two occasions and responded as
follows.

We would be glad to contract on this basis however our discounts are based on
contract provisions,
exclusivity, and number of covered lives.  The contract that has our largest
discount provides us with
X% of our business.  If you wish to either guarantee that amount of business
(pay as if that amount of
business occured whether it did or did not) or demonstrate over some trial
period at our usual discount
that you will provide that amount of business then we could provide a refund.
Also there are contract
provisions in the contract that has our largest discount, such as payment
deadlines, etc. that you will
have to include in your contract.

This is of course contingent upon talking about the same form of reimbursement
(cap vs ffs)

Neither company took us up on the offer and stayed at there old wording.

Carlton Conley
Director
MHSI