On Wed, 26 Apr 1995, william s swearingen wrote:

> Any future
> scenario that allows private ownership of access to the internet, and
> information on it, will invariably lead to the same problem we now have
> with the print media.  Ony a select few will be able to set the agenda for
> public discussion.

Perhaps one of the lasting changes that can be brought about by CMC with
the aid of community networks and on-line publications is a
transformation in the agenda-setting function of media institutions.  If
structured carefully, on the American ideal of democratic
self-government,  the most powerful characteristic of CMC, interactivity,
could facilitate the creation of a new, democratically generated, public
sphere.

G Scott Aikens
E-Debates Coordinator
MN E-Democracy Project and E-Debates 1994