I second and appreciate what Hannah has said below..

M.A.Karthikeyan, India.

I think that the belief that we have a right to hurt someone else because
they hurt us or someone we love is at the root cause of violence.  I find
it very scary to realize that Tim McVeigh (Rwandans, Bosnians, Serbs, and
many Americans) have strong religious beliefs, follow a military code of
ethics,and believe that violence, even if it hurts ordinary people, is
justified to
achieve ends which they believe to be good.

Strong public sentiments for capital punishment, for retributive justice
support all acts of revenge whether supported by the law or supported by
irrational thinking of individuals and groups.  Anyone of us could become
violent if we felt justified and commit terrible cruelties.  CNN reported that
there were people in Oklahoma who began talking about going to the university
and beating up foreign students before they found out the bombing was commited
by domestic terrorists.  Look at the activities of radical environmentalist
and animal rights groups -- they feel they can hurt people who, in their
opinion, are hurting the earth or innocent creatures.  Those of us who
are activists must follow the non-violence of Christ, Gandhi, and Martin
Luther
King and we must preach non-violence everytime we promote what we consider
positive change.  Otherwise we will be giving ourselves the right to hurt
others to achieve what we consider good ends.

No matter how awful it is, Tim McVeigh and others like him are human beings
who follow a belief system that supports and promotes violence.  They are
not animals or demons nor were those that dropped the a-bomb, dumped radiated
waste into public drinking waters, irradiated the food of mentally retarded
patients, bombed Dresden to ashes, slaughtered villagers in Vietnam, ignored
evidence that asbestos kills, get drunk and drive, "pay back" drivers that are
cutting them off on a super-highway.

Any human being who thinks he or she has the right to hurt someone else
either for retribution or to promote a cause can act LIKE a beast or a demon.
Unfortunately, "we have met the enemy and they are us."

Hannah
(and because I am frightened that I'll be roasted for expressing these
opinions -- I give only my first name)