Message from Tom Williams ([log in to unmask]):

>     I am trying to help an Indian colleague from Bombay remain in the
>         US after MLA in Washington in May.  She is seeking a two to
>         three month temporary job placement in a highly computerized
>         medical library...

>          She is a member of the highest Indian cast (Brahman.)...

          Regarding this message.  It seems to me that any allusion to
          a person's class (or caste), race, religion, etc., is quite
          out of place on a professional Listserv, or for that
          matter, any other.  From what I understand of this "caste"
          system it has nothing whatever to do with one's abilities or
          accomplishments, only with who an individual's parents were.

          Personally and professionally I find such distinctions
          offensive.

          Tom Williams, Univ. Miami Medical