If I may resurrect the recent discussion on Health Reference Center
and/or patient education libraries ...

We have Health Reference Center (HRC) in our library.  There is no
separate patient education library, but we collect some patient education
materials in both print and video formats.  Most of our hospital's clinics and
services have some patient education materials as well.  Since we are
publically funded and are the only professionally staffed medical library in a
100-mile radius, we are open to anyone, and are getting an increasing
number of users who are patients, general public, middle and high school
students, and college students.

We originally subscribed to HRC for patient education purposes, but we
have found that our largest user group (probably larger than all others
combined) for HRC consists of college students, most of whom only want
3-5 references for a brief paper.  We also have PlusNet (Medline,  CINAHL,
Cancer, and Health) and Grateful Med for those who want in-depth
information or who do not find adequate info on HRC.  While HRC is easy
for most people to learn and use, our intervention is further reduced
because many of the students have used other InfoTrac databases at their
college or school library.

Tom Craig
Asst. to the Director of Library Services
Univ. of Texas Health Center at Tyler