>REPLY TO 04/26/95 09:17 FROM [log in to unmask] "Medical Libraries
>Discussion List": HLTHBOOK/The Coming Plague
>
>I'm confused by the message about HLTHBK -- is this a new listserv? It
>sounds interesting but I can't figure out what it is.  Pls enlighten
>me if anyone knows.

Since I'm responsible for forwarding the message, I'll try to add some
background.
This is a new listserv scheduled to start next week - I will forward address
from the nurse researchers list _when it is posted_.  The first book to be
discussed was one of two biomedical titles on the Library Journal Sci-Tech
books of the year list for 1994.  Members of the nursing research list began
to "talk" about this particular book some months ago, with the suggestion of
an online book discussion list. Start up was delayed due to difficulties in
purchasing the book outside the U.S.  Since the issues are of broad impact,
it was thought that having this as a list for all would be useful (see
excerpt from original message below). I felt that MEDLIB-L readers might be
interested, or know of others who would be. Early notification allows those
who are interested to get the books (also noted below) and begin reading.
Some early MEDLIB-L readers may remember the online discussion of
Kevorikian's book.  While that was more directed to intellectual freedom
issues, I think the books planned for discussion on this list will also
stimulate controversy and allow for a similar lively exchange.    Peg
HLTHBOOK is open to interested participants, and is not limited to health
care practitioners.  The intent of HLTHBOOK is to encourage critical
discussion of popular literature--new and old--that has an impact on the
public's knowledge of health and illness.
May 1:  "The Coming Plague," by Laurie Garrett.  Emerging infectious
>        diseases (MacGregor Eddy, discussion leader).
>
>Jun 1:  "Living in the Shadow of Death," by Sheila M. Rothman.  This is a
>        social history of tuberculosis (Meribeth Reed, leader).
>
>Jul 1:  "Strong Medicine," by M. Rachlis & C. Kushner."  Health care
>        reform in Canada (Lynne Maxwell, leader).

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP
Health Information Outreach Consultant &
Editor, International Nursing Index
PO Box 2, Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715)687-4976 or (715)687-2287