Several years ago we used to put sticker/flags on the journal volumes a
we were shelving them (instead of recording them via pencil and paper)
and do a count, but the tags fell off and the whole project was
inconclusive.  What we did prior to deselection, is remove the current
year of the journals under deselectii\on list and hold them in an inside
office.  Users were instructed to ask for them, and we kept tabs for
several months.  The journals were very research oriented and very narrow
in scope.  Only o ne was requested consistently, but then by only one person.
By the way, we consulted the various division to help us  with the
process, and on some of the multi-disciplinary journals, got conflicted
recommendations...

THe one record I keep that I find very useful is to track the highly
requestd Docline titles(our requests) off the annual master report
forwarded from NLM.  I set up a simple Lotus 123 file, and have 5 years
records of titles requested 6 or more times by more than one person.  I
can justify purchase of very few new titles, since very few are requested
consistently year after year.  The biggest problem is to provide
journals for new hospital programs when there is no money for new ones.
Our policy is that a journal has to be deleted in order to permit a new
one.  One hospital recently raised the permitted journals price ceiling
from $300 per year to $400 (Library subscribes to nothing over 400, and
has to cancel when price goes higher.

I whole heartedly ageee that getting what is needed via Ill is a good
solution, and it might be that, in many hospitals, having a good fast
supplier (instead of buying hard copy and  photocopying) might very well
be a cost effective solution,,,,,,, One does whatever works at one's
institution, and sometimes, as I said before, one might just as well
have fun and play "pin the tail..."
                               Dalia Kleinmuntz
                               Webster Library, Evanston Hospital
                               [log in to unmask]     (708) 570-2665