I'm going to add a comment to this "Millard" controversy:
Instead of licensing librarians (just another "upping the ante" for what
we need to do  to prove what???)  we all  need to concentrate on the need
to open m ore consumer health information for the public.  Maybe each
hospital needs to have a mandate   from a higher up authority to have
one.  Most of the "documenting of patient education inforamtion" that I
have seen, to justify JCAHO, is  but yet another peicen of
"documentation" paper with lots of signatures  required, and attached to
the patient medical record... and the time wasted by busy nurses and
librarian who serve on such pateint education comittees.  Many hospital
administrators "don't see  the need" and don't provide support.  When
one finds the means to set up an information resource, there is usualy n
o room allocated, or it becomes a narrow and controlled facility,
someones' "power base".  Most hospital libraries do not have neither the
space nor the room to expand to serve the public.  More power to those
who do so.  Public libraries are _afraid_ of the topics and the "advised"
they might be giving.  Thiws is a messy, push-me-pull-you situation.  SO
PLEASE let's leave ourselves alone, not more credentials, certifications,
governement regulation except if it will get us all to cooperate and
provide the public with good, relevant sources of information,

                               Dalia Kleinmuntz
                               Webster Library, Evanston Hospital
                               [log in to unmask]     (708) 570-2665
                                                        (708) 570-2926 FAX