According to Joy Kennedy / Julie Stielstra:

> >Subject: Use of Form Number Other Than 39 for Handbooks
> >         in the NLM Classification, 5th Edition
> >
> >Please forgive me in advance for being a rebel and a bad person, but as
> cataloger-in-chief for a compact medical library, I HATE FORM NUMBER 39!  I
> just don't see very much reason to isolate a book from its fellows in
> subject matter because it happens to look like a "handbook."  When someone
> is looking for a book on pediatric medicine and are browsing the obvious WS
> 100-200 area, they're going to miss Harriet Lane because she's two shelves
> over in WS 39.  I'm afraid I tend to think like a patron, not a cataloger,
> and if the Cataloging Police come and take me away, so be it.

Hurray! I whole -heartedly agree.  Even in a small community
hospital library having books separated on the shelf because of
this form number means that they are not found and used.  I
frequently re-classify these books so that they file with
"their fellows".  I am glad to know there are others of like
mind.

Mary Alice Sherrard
Memorial Hospital of Martinsville & Henry County
Martinsville, Va. 24115
email: [log in to unmask]