     Food for thought -- thanks!!  One problem we have/would have is that
     we don't charge back for anything that we do (because of how our
     budget funds come to us in the first place, among other practical and
     philosophical reasons).  So if we deny some requests and not others,
     we're in the position of asking why people want something, screening
     for purpose of use, etc. etc.  That gets tricky!  And while with some
     requests the school-to-work connection is obviously very tenuous (we
     don't have much trouble eliminating those, with few problems), with
     other requests the school project IS a work project, and almost
     amounts to getting school credit for things they'd be
     writing/researching for work anyway.  And we would fill the
     work-related requests without question.  It's the gray area in the
     middle that's troublesome -- and the people who openly volunteer that
     the request is for school get penalized, while the folks who keep it
     covered up get service.

     We've tended to just do these things, because the time and effort
     needed to talk someone out of something can be more than the time and
     effort needed to get at least some of the things, and we're conscious
     of the PR value of good service.  Our collection is much more limited
     in the allied health/administration areas than in nursing, which is
     much more limited than our clinical medicine/research collections.
     (It's a space issue, and we're addressing it.)  And I guess we feel
     some obligation to support all of our clients; I think it was Herb
     White who has said that it's hardly fair to say to one user group, "We
     have chosen not to buy materials in your field, so you get to pay for
     interlibrary loans."

     Thanks for all the input!

     Gretchen Hallerberg
     Cleveland Clinic Library Services