>I agree that students should be encouraged to use the reources of their
>schools where they pay considerable tuition for, among other things,
>library resources to support those programs.  The problem hospital
>libraries face in these situations is the difference in service
>philosophies between the hospital library and the college/academic
>library.  . . .........>.  In the hospital setting, library services are
>there to enable the client to more effectively treat patients - fast
>turn-around and staff provided to smooth the way of the library client in
>a fast paced clinical environment.

Unfortunately our experience has been that even in institutions charging
large amounts for tuition students tell us that they are charged for
interlibrary loans (about $10) AND told that the soonest possible date for
getting the article is 2 weeks to 1 month.  As with students everywhere this
is much too long and they know we'll place their ILL today or tomorrow at
the latest.  Even PUBLIC libraries in our area are starting to charge their
residents for interlibrary loan (a neighbor public library charges
admittedly only $2 but with a maximum number of ILL of 5 per year!)  The
point seems to be to make people more selective in requesting ILL and more
aware of the large cost in staff time for processing the request as well as
recovering costs.

We belong to a consortium that provides free ILL in this region and I
understand why the charges are happening but somewhat resent that my 2
person library will be providing free ILL that might be charged back to the
patron.

Joy Kennedy
Joy Kennedy / J. Stielstra
Health Resource Library
Northwest Community Hospital
800 W Central Rd.
Arlington Heights IL 60005
v  708-259-1000 ext 5071  ; fax 708-577-4049