One way that I justify giving excellent service to nursing students whether
they are our employees or not is that they need to be taught what is
excellent library service so that they will not be so accepting of less.  It
is appalling to me how little they expect - many don't expect to be able to
identify what they need, to find it here in town, to be able to get it from
another library if nothing is available here, or to receive it by the time
they need it.  I show them how to use the indexes (and now we have CD-ROM),
tell them which items we have on their list, let them copy what they want, or
order ILL for those few times when we can't locate anything in our collection
for them to use.  Whether they come to work for us or go somewhere else, they
are going to know what is possible in library service and I hope become more
demanding advocates.

DeAnn Hilmoe
St. Mary's Healthcare Center
800 E. Dakota Avenue