From: [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]

 On October 11-14, 1995, the MEDICAL Conference will bring together the
most creative and disciplined minds in the field of health care,
education, communications, imaging, and technology.

Confirmed speakers as of May 1995:

Horace Deets Director and CEO, AARP: American Association of Retired
Persons

James Dickson Senior Advisor to the Dean, Harvard Medical

School; Former US Assistant Surgeon General

Joan Dunlop President, International Women9s Health Coalition

Bran Ferren Senior VP, Creative Technology, Walt Disney Imagineering

Helmut Giersiefen Doctor, Project Director; Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.

Roger Gould Clinical Psychiatrist, Interactive Health Center; Developer
of the Therapeutic Learning Program; Former head of neuro-psychiatric
outpatient clinic at UCLA

Stephen Jay Gould Professor, Harvard University; McArthur Fellow;
Author: Bully for Brontosaurus and Ever Since Darwin

David Hon President, Ixion, a company which focuses on virtual reality
for endoscopic surgery

Dean Kamen President, DAKA Research & Development Corporation;
Philanthropist; Inventor of leading edge medical instruments

John Kao Senior Lecturer at Harvard Business School; Producer;
Psychiatrist; Entrepreneur in biotechnology and interactive multimedia

C. Everett Koop Doctor; Chairman, Time Life Medical; Former US Surgeon
General

David Macaulay Illustrator, Author: The Amazing Brain and The Way Things
Work

J. Ian Morrison President, Institute for the Future; Consultant on
health care topics

Dean Ornish Doctor, President and Director, Preventive Medicine Research
Institute; Author: Program for Reversing Heart Disease

Patricia Phelan President, Direct Medical Knowledge, a research
organization dedicated to providing medical information to consumers

Stanley Pottinger Author: The Fourth Procedure; Former assistant US
Attorney General
Dr. Richard Rockefeller Doctor, President, Health Commons Institute

Jonas Salk Doctor, Scientist, Founder, Salk Institute for Biological
Studies; Humanitarian; Author: Survival of the Wisest

Col. Richard M. Satava Manager, The Advanced Biomedical Technology
Program, The Defense Sciences Office, The Advanced Sciences Projects
Agency

Rick Smolan Photographer, Author: Day in the Life series, The Power to
Heal, Medicine s Great Journey

Victor Spitzer Professor, Colorado University Health Sciences Center;
Researcher, The Visible Human Project, a three-dimensional digital
mapping of the human body
Alexander Tsiaras Medical Journalist; Photographer; Creator of The
Anatomical Travelogue

William Tsiaras Doctor of Internal Medicine; Chairman, Departmentof
Opthomology, Brown University School of Medicine

Philippe Villers President and Founder, Families USA; Philanthropist;
Human Rights activist; Founder of three high-technology companies

Albert Waxman Chairman and CEO, Medco Behavior Care Corporation

 There have been stunning technological developments in health care
research developments that can immediately improve our ability to
understand and conquer disease in our lifetime. What stands in the way
of our disseminating this information so that we can all share it and
use it?

 There is an increased awareness of how we can take more control of our
personal health. How do we harness the research and information
available in order to understand it? We need to know what questions to
ask and where to ask them.

 There is growing concern about the future of health care. Recent
attempts to face the issues and resolve the problems of health care
policy have failed because they are not understood. A significant part
of the health care policy issue is a communications issue.

 In fact, the problem with all three of these scenarios is a problem of
communications. We have the intelligence. We have the information. What
we lack is the ability to thoughtfully converse and share with one
another all we9ve learned.

        Human health and well-being will always be an issue of fundamental
concern. As information becomes more available, we are in need of
leaders to help empower us to understand this issue. MEDICAL will be a
conference which explores how we are making the human body and medical
information more
understandable.

 For the past ten years, we have successfully developed and managed a
meeting known as the TED Conference. This conference brings together the
most dynamic players in the fields of Technology, Entertainment, and
Design and allows them the opportunity to understand, integrate, and
encourage learning.

 One of the most important aspects of TED is its audience. The
conferences have always attracted a high caliber, eclectic mix of
individuals from these fields and from related and not-so-related
fields. MEDICAL will take the same insightful approach to understanding
the major issues surrounding medical and health care communication and
information.

 The approach of MEDICAL will begin at a very intimate level the
communication within the body and will expand to address global health
care policy issues.

 1 Conversation We will explore our changing role from patient to agent
in our own health care. We will examine the conversations that help us
learn about our bodies; how patients and doctors learn from each other;
how doctors communicate with the medical community; how health care
companies work with governmental and regulatory agencies.

        2 Imaging and new technologies
Leaders in the fields of medical technology will share their insights in
the fields of digital imaging, remote diagnosis, and the cutting-edge
use of computers in medicine.

        3 Policy The economics, logistics,
and administration of health care policy has moved to the forefront of
national and international agendas producing a baffling vocabulary of
terms and concepts. MEDICAL will explore how policy is created, how
research is advanced, and the role of economic and demographic
statistics.

        We must make critical decisions on a daily basis, and at every phase of
our life timeline decisions about preventive medicine, insurance
coverage, long term care, home care, and coping with disabilities and
terminal illness. These issues often arise unexpectedly and therefore
demand that we have accurate, understandable  information and options
available immediately. MEDICAL will discuss what we can do to prepare
ourselves for these issues.

        ? Is there any area of greater concern than the health and well-being
of ourselves, our family and our friends?

        ? Is there any area about which we have less ability to access and
understand reliable information?

        ? Is there any area more complicated and confused today than the local,
state, and federal initiatives regarding  health care and health
economics?

        ? Is there anything more exciting than being able to tap into exciting
breakthroughs in medical technologyand to experience their applications?

        Each of these questions bring to light the need for a comprehensive
overview of health care issues today.

 There is individual interest in understanding the relationships
betweendiet, exercise, and the control of our own health.

 There is a new focus on the widespread acceptance of universal
healthcare and its implications.

 There is significant interest in realizing the possibilities of virtual
care and remote diagnosis.

 There is tremendous energy now focused on speeding up the process by
which new drugs are brought to market.

        Each of these changes demand a realistic survey of the state of health
care which can only be accomplished by bringing together responsible
hearts and minds in order to challenge, educate, and communicate with
one another.

        MEDICAL will benefit an audience of wide-ranging interests and
disciplines. We will congregate as educators, learners, politicians,
scientists, policy-makers, and health careproviders. Professionals from
the fields of technology, communications, design, medicine, and
government will meet to address their common concerns. National
organizations such as AARP: The American Association of Retired Persons
are pro-actively assisting in the development of the audience. EDS:
Electronic Data Services has agreed to host an evening
gathering of conferees.

 MEDICAL will attract an audience in which you may have no idea what the
person sitting next to you does. The conversation that emerges builds
bridges of learning and brings to light the reasons you both have come.
This creates the intellectual excitement of a great dinner party.

 MEDICAL will broaden your view-point and enhance your possibilities.
Great speakers bring a great audience. The composite conversation among
the 450 people gathered becomes an explosion of hope, ideas,
conversation, and constructive
networking.

 MEDICAL will lead to a deeper understanding of what we know and what we
don9t  know. It will teach us how to ask better questions. It will
establish a new network of interesting groups, individuals,
institutions, and organizations and will open up access
to new tools, ideas, and people.

 Richard Saul Wurman Chairman & Creative Director ([log in to unmask] or

 Future TED Conferences
TEDSELL, 21 to 24 February 1996
Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California
Selling in the decade of also our transactional future

 TED7, 19 to 22 February 1997,
Monterey Conference Center, Monterey, California
A continuation of the series which focuses on on the merging &
converging of the technology business, the entertainment industry
& the design professions in the service of learning & communication
        MEDICAL will be held 11 -14 October 1995 in Charleston, South Carolina.
I have chosen Charleston for the
following reasons:
        1 Charleston is a beautiful city which
should be attractive to conference participants and their companions.
The
climate and weather in October is usually balmy.

        2 There is good access by car and air
with close proximity to Washington, DC, Atlanta and New York.

        3 Charleston has a marvelous hotel, The Omni, excellent restaurants,
and beautiful sites and activities, not only within Old Charleston but
in the surrounding environs. This should encourage people to extend
their stay for several days before and afte
the conference.

        4 Most importantly, there is an
historic tiered theatre with good audio-visual facilities and space that
will allow for the kind of gathering and intimacy which is necessary for
such
an extraordinary meeting.

 CONFERENCE FORMAT Registration will take place the evening of Wednesday
11 October followed by three full days of presentations on the 12th,
13th, and 14th. All talks will be given in the main auditorium. There
will be two one-hour conversation  breaks each day. During these
conversation breaks, people can meet and exchange reactions. This format
invites highly focused conversations which often encourage profitable
connections between people of mutual interests.

REGISTRATION will take place from 6PM to 11PM on Wednesday 11 October in
the Grand Ballroom of The Omni Hotel at 130 Market Street. Late
registration will be available at The Dock Street Theatre at 135 Church
Street, from 7AM on Thursday
12 October.

 ACCOMMODATIONS The Omni Hotel has provided us with a group rate for
this period. Reservations can be made by calling Omni Reservations at
803.722.4900 or 1.800.THE OMNI and by mentioning the reservation block
for MEDICAL. Alternate hotels
will be assigned if necessary.

 MEALS Conference participants are free to enjoy the fine restaurants of
Charleston during the conference. Specifics regarding any sponsored
events or gatherings will be distributed
as they develop.

 THE DOCK STREET THEATRE is on the site of one of America9s first
playhouses. The Theatre was reconstructed in 1936 as an 18th Century
theatre and is the home of some of Charleston9s featured annual
performances and cultural events. Its auditorium will provide all of our
audio-visual needs in an intimate and unique setting.