Civis Romanus Sum, Odi Profanum Vulgus.
Paul Blobaum   [log in to unmask]
Medical Librarian, Olympia Fields Osteopathic Hospital
Olympia Fields, IL     (Midwestern University)

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Ilga T. Pubulis wrote:

> A 2-pronged non-tech solution is: 1) booktape (use real thing--Gaylord's)
> each book across the bottom or top of both covers in vivid color. Color
> coding for quick shelving may be used as an excuse, e.g. yellow for refs,
> chartreuse for nursing, pink for regular, etc.  Neon colors are great!
> This insures high visibility plus the book may be ruined if tape is
> pulled off. 2) Be extra nice to your patrons, but voice your concerns,

That jogged my memory... When I first came on the job here, before we got
our 3M security system in 1992, I was so upset with new books
disappearing from Reserve and Reference, that I took a black magic marker
and defaced the books most likely to be stolen.  This did the trick!  I
did the spine, the pages on the  edges, and inside back and front cover..
PLUS several pageson the inside here and there.   No one seemd to mind,
and most understood why it was necessary.  I wrote "stolen from OFOHMC
Library", etc on both brand new and old books.

When we get books that were "stolen" returned, many times the spine
label, and book pocket is torn off.  The more ID you can put on a book
the better.  I have seen paper pressed seals <like a notary public> on
books here and there....... that is another way of defacing a book page
and make it look elegant.... but still identifying it as the property of
your library.   BTW, when I get a new book cataloged from our tech
services, I make sure all edges are stamped with the library name and
address.  We got a box of books back, mailed from a Mail Boxes ETc. shop
in Phoenix, AZ this spring...... last checked out in our library in
1989...  and a book from a library in CA was in with the bunch.  We were
able to return the book to the california library because of thepermanent
markings inside.

<I don't know WHY my address always gets inserted first....>