I have been reading with interest the discussion on providing ILLs,
etc. for nurses in school.  This is an issue that has come up
repeatedly in my institution.  With 1440 employees and 600 attending
physicians we have many people in school.  Yes, we have two physicians
getting degress in Health Services Administration ( to be better
prepared for the managed care era).  We have decided that we will do
literature searches at no charge and will allow unlimited photocopying
of library resources at no charge.  However, if we provided ILLs - even
for a fee - we would be overwhelmed.

In reading the replies to this ILL discussion I saw no mention of the
fact that studens are paying tuition to their schools which should
cover library services.  Some of our students attend schools with a
tuition of over $15,000/year.  I have asked why they don't use their
school's library and I frequently get the reply that they are pointed
in the direction of a computer and told to do the search themself with
no instruction.  I am also told that it takes too long for the school
to process an interlibrary loan and that the charges are often too
high.

I recognize that some students are in external degres programs with
limited library access.  I think the real issue here is why the
students' schools are not providing the library services. Our library
carries 20 nursing journals.  Some of our employees tell me this is a
better collection than their university library.  I helped one student
find the Bay Area location of a journal(she was willing to go and get
the article herself) and she was very grateful, saying she couldn't get
that help at her own library.

This is not meant to be critical of any library or librarian as I
realize that we all have had cuts in staff and materials.  It is just
my thoughts on the subject.

Rochelle Schmalz
Coordinator, Library and Audiovisual Services
St. Mary's Medical Center - San Francisco