I agree that students should be encouraged to use the reources of their
schools where they pay considerable tuition for, among other things,
library resources to support those programs.  The problem hospital
libraries face in these situations is the difference in service
philosophies between the hospital library and the college/academic
library.  In the academic setting the emphasis is on self serve and on
serving many more direct clients who are there to *learn*, including learn
how to use the library.  In the hospital setting, library services are
there to enable the client to more effectively treat patients - fast
turn-around and staff provided to smooth the way of the library client in
a fast paced clinical environment.

Please students in the hospital setting and they see the library as a
gold mine of excellent one-on-one service and a collection absolutely
appropriate to their needs.  If hospital libraries provide students with
full clinical library service for academic classroom use these services
would soon dwarf and compromise service for clinical needs.  What really
clouds the issue is the numbers of people in school and in programs that
dovetail with their clinical work.

Fortunately, in the setting where I had this experience (at a large facility
near several colleges with health
professions programs) I was successful in negotiating with the library
director
of a neighboring school.  They were glad that we contacted them about our
problem with student use of the library (claims that the library had poor
service and poor collections)  It turned out that the collection was good
and that the library needed to work with the faculty more to get the word
to students about the resources of their own collections.  We were given
a list of nursing and other clinical journals to which the library at the
school subscribed so that
we could demonstrate for the students that their own library really did
have the resources they required.  But, that academic library was not
able to give them hand- to - mouth service *or* free photocopying.  In
any event the open lines of communications were very helpful.  The
situation improved, did not go away, but it did improve.

Metta Lansdale
Reference Librarian
M Link Project
University of Michigan