Vigdor, Vigdor, Vigdor...

>   Nonsense.  It not a question of simple "envy" or conspiracy theories its
> a question of citizens expresing outrage over corporate corruption of the
> legislative process.

No one is saying you shouldn't express outrage over your perceptions of
the legislative process. What I do say, though, is that you catch more
flies if you actually *do* something, rather than just getting mad at the
fly. There are many, many things people can do -- and, IMHO -- need to do if
they want to influence policy on any level. If you are content to discribe
an adversary as an enemy, then you will have an enemy; if you can get
beyond the black-and-white name-calling and flame-baiting to something
deeper, then you can begin to achieve something. That is my belief.

Moreover, it a question in thi case of two media
> representatives defending their advertisers' practices of exploiting
> the people to the maximum.

Here, Vigdor, is an example of what I mean by the limitations of this
medium. You do not know me (or Susan Prince, for that matter), yet you
accuse us of what, to a journalist, is the most heinous of acts --
mingling journalistic integrity with the aims of advertisers. The very
act of firing a shot like this tends to make enemies out of adversaries.
It is a mistaken tack to take, Vigdor, for many reasons, not the least of
which is that when you attack people whom you don't know, you merely
close their ears by your accusations and unwarranted use of the language.
I am surprised that someone such as yourself, who has been on this list
from its beginning more than two years ago, has not grown more in applying
telecommunication skills to arguments and online-interaction. And you,
such a proponent of Computer-Mediated Communication!

As Franklin once told Paine: "Spit into the wind and you spit in your
own face."

And to keep the record straight, I left The Charlotte Observer 6
months ago to become project director of Charlotte's Web, a regional
community network based in Charlotte, NC. (But, of course, journalists
are like Catholics: you can leave the profession but the profession can
never leave you. Some might just call me a *lapsed* journalist. ;-) )

Steve Snow
Project Director
Charlotte's Web

Flames to me; comments to the list. I still wear asbestos.