On Sun, 2 Jul 1995, Brent Wall wrote:

> Re:  again the demise of the Tallahassee Free-Net.
>
> I think that the bottom line is that we have to convince the users and
> payers of electonic systems that this form of commerce saves money and
> time.  And, given this "sales pitch", we have, for a number of sound
> techonological reasons, have not delivered.  If we are to save free or
> community nets in our jurisdictions, we, as commuunity nets, have to
> deliver the goods that prove that we save money and time.

  The only service that an interactive media can provide, with distinction
sufficient to sustain itself has to do with the media's interactivity.  To
achieve this, systems managers will have to do what they have thus far
been unwilling to do, namely, give up their command and control mode and
adopt a new leadership style as teacher, facilitator, and catalyst focused
on the holistic community of users as king.  In this media the
Jeffersonian ideal of strong participatory democracy becomes indispensible.

  The place to start, I recommend, is to convene a group Institute to
learn about the framework of such an approach and the "interactive
management"  methodologies that are now available or obtainable that can
make it work.  The "Cyberspace Society" would be willing to help produce
such an Institute, if it were adequately funded and held in the Capital.

  Vigdor Schreibman - FINS <[log in to unmask]>