On Thu, 13 Jul 1995, Margo Coletti wrote:

> Janice - I can certainly understand your frustration.  The same thing
> almost happened to me during the last JCAHO visit.  We were not on the
> schedule.  So I asked my division director *and* the quality assurance
> person if we were to be visited.  I wouldn't accept an "I don't know"
> answer.  I told them both that I needed to know and I needed to know
> when just to be sure that I would be here!  (At the time, I was working
> part time.)  Well, we were put on the schedule, with about 2 days
> notice.  I really don't know how much of the scheduling is done by QA and
> how much is done by JCAHO.  If you are not part of the survey, you will
> certainly want to know why - whose decision it is, the hospital's or the
> surveyors'.  And, again, I would not accept "I don't know" for an
> answer.  You need to know where you stand.  Good luck!

> Margo Hoekstra Coletti           Internet: [log in to unmask]
> Director
> Agoos Medical Library            Phone: (617) 667-4225
> Beth Israel Hospital
> 330 Brookline Ave.               Fax:   (617) 667-7197
> Boston, MA 02215

Some things never change.  About 10 yrs ago, we were being blessed wi a
vist from JCAHO, & in the dept head meeting with the surveyors, prior to
their starting inspection, the library was not on the written agenda.
After the meeting I went to the lead inspector, & asked where the
libarary was.  Actually, I said, You ARE coming to the library, arent
you?  He immediately agreed, & did show up & spent a fair amount of time,
all the while the CEO was beaming.  Don't be shy, for pity's sake--it'll
get you nowhere!

Lee Hover
Information Developers
Computer-Based Research