On Jul 27,  2:38pm, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Subject: RQ: Fat Pill
> Does anyone have information on the new "fat pill" htat
> has been in the news? Reporters are calling our dietary
> department & they are in need of info. They are calling it
> lipsed or lipsed (with an I) but aren't sure of the spelling.
> I've checked medline, tvnews, and Health & Med in the news.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nancy,
This was in today's newspaper:

Scientists have discovered a hormone called LEPTIN that caused very
obese mice to become thin and healthy within a very short period after
receiving daily injections of the hormone. Studies at three different
laboratories confirmed that the hormone causes the body to burn excess
fat, but has no apparent effect on lean tissue. The hormone signals the
body that it has too many fat cells, triggering a fat-burning process
that also increases energy and decreases appetite. It is unknown
whether LEPTIN is safe for long-term use or whether it would be
effective in humans. LEPTIN is produced naturally by the ob gene.

I guess this is very good news for fat mice!

JL

Jonathan Lord / University of Virginia Health Sciences Library
Box 234 UVa Health Sciences Center/ Charlottesville, VA  22908
(804) 924-2752  FAX: (804) 982-4238 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]