Peg Allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm in the market (shopping, but not buying until sure) for a quality
>multimedia (CD-ROM) laptop and have looked through the reviews in the August
>95 PC Magazine.  Some reviewed and others advertised come with a screen that
>doubles as an LCD panel for use with an overhead projector.  Has anyone seen
>or had experience with anything like this?  I do wonder about the projection
>quality.

Important Note:  The following information, plus 75 cents, might buy a
cup of coffee <g>.

I bought a notebook with an LCD projection panel screen about 3 years
ago.  Please understand first that they are EXPENSIVE.  An
active-matrix screen (a must for me), with a 386-25mhz processor and 8
megs of RAM cost approximately $6,000 at that time.

You immediately notice that the processor (and the limited memory,
too) is--today--completely inadequate.  This machine--though it worked
fine and I had good use of it for 2 years--was manufactured by Rever
Computer from Taiwan (it was the only one I could find at the time).
Ignoring the practical problems of using a "non-standard" manufacturer
(the screen itself is from Sharp and is honestly first-class), there
was and is no effective way to upgrade the *computer* and so until I
can figure out whether I can use the panel on a stand-alone basis, my
big bucks cutting edge presentation tool sits dormant.

You get the general idea, I trust.  My strong recommendation is buy a
notebook for its own features and buy your LCD panel separately.  It
IS a little more cumbersome to transport (a key factor in my original
decision to buy the combo unit), but while the panel will remain
useful for  many years, the computer will fall rapidly behind.

Enjoy the coffee!

Regards,
Mark