Jane....

As you will undoubtedly hear, you are not alone.  After 12 years of
pestering my boss, the dircetor of materiel management, and anybody
else who'd listen I finally got a second-hand desktop copier two years
ago.  I've only had to have it serviced once.

A bit of history, first.  I don't know about Carson-Tahoe Hospital but
our place is a small (266 bed) community hospital, which, when I first
arrived, had one (!) copier for the whole place with one very grumpy
copy clerk (she still is).  The then-administrator was big on control-
I guess he figured departments with their own copiers might misuse
them (you know, folks copying body parts or chain letters or something)
so he was dead set against more than one.

Eventually he had to yield to commonsense - or sheer volume - and allowed
one for medical records.  Over the intervening years they've sprouted
like mushrooms, turning up in Administration (surprise), the ER, Nursing
Service Office, Nutrition Services (for menus) and even the chaplain's
office.  But what in heaven's name would a library need a copier for?

In my own case, I handle hospital-wide purchasing for educational materials
as well as the usual interlibrary loans, searches for staff, etc.  When
I pointed out how many thousands of pages per year I needed copied, AND
how much time I spent walking the halls from my place (in the basement) to
and from the copy clerk's office on another floor half a building away, PLUS
the cost of replacing journals which had been 'borrowed' to make copies and
never found their way home again, they figured it was cheaper to give me a
hand-me-down, which - very important - is still covered under their service
contract.

Sorry this is so long.  I guess the point is persistence pays.  We shouldn't
HAVE to practically beg for basic tools but it's a sad fact of corporate
life that the squeaky wheel etc.

Good luck!

Anne Tomlin
Auburn Memorial Hospital