Hi!  A while back during a discussion of Leonardo's Proportions of the
Human Body, after Vitruvius, I recommended a reference book that turned
out to be out of print.
My library just received a new art reference book, which I believe is
still in print (although I didn't find an entry in BIP), that you might
want to try to order.  The format is alphabetical by artist, with one large
illustration per artist per page, 500 artists included.
The illustration for each artist is one chosen to because it is most
representative or recognizable (Leonardo's is - you guessed it - Mona Lisa).
Both sculpture and two dimensional artists are included, from the Renaissance
on, and many women artists are included.  I did not come across much in
the way of non-western art, however.
HERE'S THE BIB:
The Art Book. London: Phaidon, 1994. ISBN:0714830321. (Phaidon Press,
Ltd., 2 Kensington Sq., London, W8 5EP)

Lynne M. Fox               University of Northern Colorado
voice: 970/351-1534        James A. Michener Library
fax:   970/351-2540        Greeley, Colorado 80639
email: [log in to unmask]