Carol,

I can think of some individuals in the bay area who might want to
colloborate; please tell me more.

>Wanted:  short contributed notes.
>
>Jamie Shanley (a fellow USGS colleague) and I are trying to assemble a
>multi-authored chapter with a tentative title of "Isotopic Indicators of
>Environmental Change" for a book that Jeff McDonnell and I are co-editing
>on "Isotope Tracers in Catchment Hydrology".  This chapter is one of the
>last unfinished chapters and we plan to get the book off to the publisher
>(Elsevier) this fall.
>
>Over the last several months, we have solicited short contributions from a
>number of colleagues.  We have now assembled these contributions into a
>moderately cohesive chapter, and find that we have several big gaps in our
>coverage of the topic.  Hence, we decided to try soliciting short
>contributions from this chat group to fill in the gaps.
>
>Below is a listing of topics that have not yet been covered.  If you are
>interested in contributing a short note to the chapter and joining our LONG
>list of co-authors, let me know which topic sounds interesting and I will
>send you additional information about the book.  We are looking for
>SHORT contributions:  2-4 double spaced pages maximum, plus an
>optional figure or table.  The note should contain a brief review of the
>topic (including theoretical and/or historical background), and one or more
>case studies.  We need these short notes ASAP, by the end of August at
>the latest.
>

>modern growth studies of potential climatic "proxies" (ie, fish, bivalves,
>etc) in streams and lakes  (ostracods are covered already)
>
>isotopic indicators of modern air pollution:  S-34, S-35, N-15, automobile
>Pb, etc
>
>isotope tracing of migratory birds and animals
>
>groundwater as reservoir of paleoclimatic information (recent
>anthropogenic effects are already covered)
>
>clays and oxides as environmental indicators
>
>organic matter in lakes
>
>miscellaneous terrestrial biological proxies:  snails, bones, berries, etc
(tree
>rings and pack-rat middens are already covered)
>
>isotopic indicators of changes in terrestrial plant communities
>
>Sr isotopes and weathering rates
>

>Thanks,
>
>--Carol
>
>Carol Kendall                                           Phone:
1-415-329-4576
>U.S. Geological Survey                                Fax:       1-415-329-4538
>345 Middlefield Road, MS 434
>Menlo Park, CA, 94025 USA                         email:   [log in to unmask]

Scott W. Starratt
Geologic Names Unit  MS 959 (soon to be who knows what?)
U.S. Geological Survey
345 Middlefield Road
Menlo Park  CA  94025
(415) 329-5060 (voice)
(415) 329-5132 (fax)

     "Good science consists largely of play disguised as work."
                                         -- E.O. Wilson
     "Science is a verb."