Date:    Fri, 15 Sep 1995 11:24:51 PDT
From:    kmoody <[log in to unmask]>

HELP!  The head of my Library Committee needs information for a talk on
these three 19th Century meds:  Calamel, Warburg's Drops, and Resin of
Jalap BY TUESDAY!  Can anyone give me some pointers, lend me a book --
anything?  I'd be extremely grateful.  K Moody, [log in to unmask], fax #
(415) 367-5100.

------------------------------

I've faxed K. some information on the preparation of calomel and of
Resin of Jalap from a 1906 Treatise on Pharmacy my Uncle Melvin once
bought at an auction and then gave to me when I was studying pharmacy.
Mention of Calomel, meanwhile, reminds me of an old Marx Brothers
routine (_Horsefeathers_, 1932):

(Groucho is trying to get into Chico's speakeasy, but doesn't know the
password; Chico has told him only that it's the name of a fish.)

GROUCHO: I've got it - Haddock!
CHICO:   That's funny, I've got a haddock too.
GROUCHO: What do you take for a haddock?
CHICO:   Sometimes I take aspirin, sometimes I take a calomel.
GROUCHO: Say, I'd walk a mile for a calomel.
CHICO:   You must mean chocolate calomel ...

 MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMnVn  Jerry Carlson